Monday morning is usually my off day, a time to run errands and to deal with my personal life. While driving to find an affordable place to get my brakes done, I became overwhelmed when thinking of all the challenges and disappointments that have taken me by surprise. The tears poured because I knew there wasn’t an earthly vessel that could change the situation. Only God could intervene.
Being a preacher did not make me immune to being on the hot seat and in a rut.
Unlike the old adage that I was against the wall, I felt pushed into the wall. My attempts to pray were unsuccessful. I could not compare my situation to those of certain biblical figures. Unlike Job, I had not lost any children. And, unlike Jesus, I certainly wasn’t going to die for anyone. This wasn’t my moment in the Garden of Gethsemane. I did, however, feel like I was in a pit, dealt an unfair hand that I had to deal with.
With this feeling of despair overtaking my soul I grasped the steering tighter and tighter. Crying inconsolably, I decided to pull over. I threw my ringing cell phone, knowing that the caller could not help me. Instead, I peered through my sun roof, stared at the sky, and frantically yelled, “Jesus, are YOU praying for me? Do you see me? Are you going to continue to let your servant stay in this pit? You said in your word that when the righteous cry out you will hear them and deliver them….I’m waiting! You said if I call on you, you will answer me and show me great and mighty things……I’m looking!”
I sat still in the car, determined to wait for an answer. In complete silence, I listened for that “still small voice”. After about 5 minutes, I drove away. All that I could hear was oncoming traffic. “I just want an answer,” I thought.
I was silently thinking, “You are praying right?” I spotted a sign to my right that read: Brakes for $99. I pulled in quickly; all others had quoted four to five times that amount. I learned from the manager that the advertised price only applied to compact cars, but eagerly agreed to pay $159 for my SUV.
Somewhat relieved, I headed across the street to eat breakfast. I met a gentleman, a bible scholar, who had not been to church in eleven years. The preacher in me never sleeps; I am always swapping stories and testimonies about God’s goodness, no matter how bad things are. So naturally I asked him if had ever read: “forsake not the assembly of the saints.” I emphasized that he could not afford to be out of church any longer. He verbally committed to returning to the body. Whether he does is uncertain, but I am sure that I planted a seed. He had not touched his food when I stood to leave, yet asked to pay for my meal. I obliged with smile thinking, “God, this is cute: the affordable brake job and the free breakfast. Really? Though I am smiling, I know that is not what I asked you for. Before he exited, I asked for his name, so that I could pray for him. His utterance was unclear, so I asked him to spell his name. By the time he said the last letter, the tears were welling up in my eyes. He said, “Emmanuel.” I was stunned. His name means, “God is with us.” Further baffling me was not only the fact that he does not ordinarily eat at that restaurant, he told me that he was not hungry when I asked why he did not eat his food. It was clear that I had fed his soul and that he had given me a word.
The next day, while my client Lois sat in my chair, the third sign presented itself. Usually quiet, she exclaimed, staring at a tile on the floor,” Vikki, do you see what I see?” I looked down, in disbelief that I had overlooked this sign for the three years that I have been at this location. There it was: it stood out ─ an undeniable image of praying hands. Though part of a piece of tile, its copper color contrasted its slate-colored background. It jumped out at me. Afraid to articulate what I perceived it to be, I answered Lois’ question with a question: “Well, what do you see?”
She raised her arms, placing her palms against each other in the prayer position. For Lois, it was an observation. But for me, this was confirmation that God hears our cries and He still answers prayers. Lois turned around in the chair to get curled as she affirms “I guess God just wants us to know He is praying for us.” My eyes overflowed with tears. Every tear that had fallen was my thank you note to God. Sometimes the answers to our prayers stares us in the face, and yet goes unrecognized, until God sends a messenger to point it out, or speak a confirming word. I’m not quite out of the pit but I will get through this because God is with me and God is praying for me!
4. The changes I have made meant I had to shed more than just pounds, I had to shed people too...#kingdomminded #destiny #peace #equallyyoked #likeminded #sucessful #changed #iamnotthesame #dontjudgeabookbyitscover #faith #newfriends #christianhttps://www.instagram.com/p/BCnbJ8UA1ow/?tagged=equallyyoked
4 of 25
5. 🙏📖❤️👫Willingly means that it's not forced. 💯Studying God's word together brings you closer together in Christ. #Oneness #patientlywaiting #datingadvice #divineheartcouples #Jesus #godlyrelationships #marriagegoals #Relationshipgoals #Proverbs31Woman #JesusChrist #realrelationshipgoals #Faith #courtship #christiancouples #BlessedCouples #hopefulromantic #DaughterofaKing #WomanOfGod #godlydating #kingdomminded #KeepGodfirst #prayerworks #powercouplesinChrist #loveoverlust #relationshipquotes #TrustGod #Relationshipgoal #seekYefirst #equallyyoked #GodAboveAll
5 of 25
6. Join us tonight for Bible Study at 7 p.m. There is some understanding we must have and some growing we must do together to properly grow the Kingdom of God!!! #partnership #corporate #corporaterelationship #equallyyoked #together #forever #understanding #relationships #Kingdom #King #JesusisLord #weareHispeople #build #grow #beaministry #fulllife
10. In God's timing, wait on the Lord. #EquallyYoked
10 of 25
11. #repost Woke up to a short video to watch of @mmoorejr speaking on being #equallyyoked and #soulties. If you haven't seen the video, DM me for the link! #single #married or #engaged ❤️💔💡You may not want to hear this, but before God can "yoke" you to the one you're supposed to be with...you have to break the soul tie with the one you're NOT supposed to be with!Download your copy of #BoazIsDead NOW, the chapter on soul ties alone is worth the read. #LinkInBio #TagAFriend #DoubletapIfYouAgree
11 of 25
12. I am not looking because I know the guy that God's got for me is on his way and this is a season for Growing as a person . #equallyyoked
18. Goes both ways!! #king #queen #equallyyoked #partnership
18 of 25
19. #RepostOur aim is conformity to Christ (becoming more like Him, by sanctification, through the Holy Spirit), not focusing on our desires. So if you consider me someone you want to be in a relationship(girls only) with, first consider your relationship with Christ first and not the other way around. #onlyifGodwills #equallyyoked #waitingforher #Histiming #FocusOnHim
21. Exactly! 👏 If I'm #Extraordinaire, I can't settle for ordinary. ✌ #Queen in waiting for her #King. #EquallyYoked (Does he know Jesus?) 👀 #HolyMatrimony 💜
21 of 25
22. #oh #how #Ilovethis #Yes #love a #strongwoman needs a #strongman #equallyyoked
22 of 25
23. I Love this! ・・・"I love this quote by Marc Hack, it speaks volumes. Yes, guard your heart, but also allow yourself to be vulnerable enough so that someone can get to know the true you. If they leave, then they were never meant to be a part of your destiny anyway." -#Repost @intentional_u with @repostapp#LoveTalk #LoveMeLikeChristLovedTheChurch #FlawsAndAll #dating #love #relationships #datingwithpurpose #inTENtionalU #teachinglove #relationships #love #wisdom #datingtips #oneday #ordainedbyGod #theone #realrecognizereal #worththewait #soulmatestuff #relationshipgoals #courtship #equallyyoked #reallove #deepthinker #deepfeeler #Godlydating #loversandfriends #Godlyrelationships #heartchronicles #hopefulromantic
23 of 25
24. I love this! I want a relationship that's full of purpose and seeks to please God!・・・"Allow your relationship to please God in a loving way. Your relationship can be an example of how God has desired us to love each other. Too often people teach a philosophy of loving self "only." That is a worldly and new age doctrine. The goal is to love self and others. Loving only self-only produces a selfish and un-Godly culture. Lay a foundation of love that inspires people to affect change through love." #Repost @quentinmccall with @repostapp#quentinmccall #love #teachinglove #romance#oneday #ordainedbyGod #theone #realrecognizereal #womanofGod #worththewait #soulmatestuff #DearMr #whenyouknowitsreal #relationshipgoals #courtship #equallyyoked #reallove #deepthinker #deepfeeler #Godlydating #love #loversandfriends #truelove #Godlyrelationships #heartchronicles #hopefulromantic #patientlywaiting #dating #waitonGod
24 of 25
25. I grew up with a praying mom // And I can honestly say that her prayer life and extraordinary life of faith kept our family together // Today, the importance of a praying woman is overlooked // We are more concerned about cosmetics, shapes, sizes and how successful her career is // But the truth is, all those things will collapse if there is no firm foundation // I cannot overemphasize the importance of being in a relationship with someone who knows how to pray and is spiritually solid // Someone who will not only build you, but also know what to do, and stand when the storms of life come blowing🙌🏽 // Whether it's casual dating, serious dating or marriage // Prayer conquers all🙏🏼 // #EquallyYoked #RelationshipGoals #Spirituality #PrayerChangesThings #Prov31Woman #MotivationMondays #thenapsta #christiancomedy #cleancomedy