Shaila Tyler is that girl who if they aren’t already modeling you should kick in the butt for not being one. Lucky for her, she’s a signed FORD Model with an awesome head of healthy blonde tresses. Like most of us, it took Shaila a while to fall in love with her hair. She shares the same frustration with hot combs and bristled brushes that every tender-headed girl has.
Fast-forward to today and Shaila is flexing her curls on social media, and enjoy every moment of her fabulous journey. Since I literally stalk her on Instagram, I figured she’d be a great person to offer you guys advice on bad hair day solutions, natural hair do’s and don’ts, and when she first fell in love with her hair.
Did you always love your hair?
I didn’t care much about hair as a young girl, but I knew no one knew how to detangle it. Everything was painful to me (combs, brushes, braiding), even the heat from a hot comb would get trapped in my hair and burn my scalp. My mom would say “your hair can hold some heat girl”. So, it wasn’t that I didn’t like my hair, I was just frustrated because no one knew what to do with it, including me. Once I reached my teens that’s when I shied away from my curly hair mostly because it wasn’t excepted by my peers (both the African American and Hispanics/Latinos). Also, I didn’t like much attention and with my big hair that’s exactly what I got. I just wanted to be the chill girl in the cut. So, I straightened it alot and during athletics and dance braided it or wore it in a bun and pony allllllll the time. If it wasn’t straight, it wasn’t out!
What’s your bad hair day solution?
I actually learned that 90% of the confidence exuded when wearing my big wild hair was from my personality. So even on a “bad hair day” I find something to do with it, but equally I just leave it big and crazy! If that option isn’t acceptable for reason like a conservative work environment, then I get really sleek and editorial and do a high bun packed with volume. Another solution is the forever classic side part slicked back low bun or pony. I now have the length for it. But during my shorter lengths I really just left it. It’s the price you pay for having curly hair, your curls are never exactly the same everyday! NEVER.
Your worst hair moment?
Last summer as I sat at a bar in the Meatpacking district of NY with a photographer friend and a friend from Belgium. They were tourist and of course we wanted to take photos. Well, I leaned back to get the perfect picture view of the guys, and while snapping he says “um, your hair!!” My hair was on FIREEEE from the large votives at the bar. I acted quickly and then ran to the bathroom. I stood in front of the mirror pulling out the dead burnt hair. I mean the entire bar smelled like hair! The blessing in disguise was, thanks to my natural I had absolutely no chemicals in my hair, and the fire couldn’t spread as quickly. It wasn’t noticeable but it definitely hurt my soul a bit, as we laughed about it over our next round of drinks.
DO’s & DONT’s of styling natural hair.
Don’t use a lot of product. My hair has been healthiest with minimal product in it. It is a misconception that you need a product for every little step. Most of my daily routines and styling technique consists of Shampoo, Condition, diffusing my hair, and finishing with natural oils like vitamin E & Argon oil because they don’t have much weight. Do embrace the fact that your hair will not be the same everyday, this will help you with confidence and acceptance as well as frustrations from styling. Do, still blowdry your hair straight every once in awhile, it helps to keep the elasticity in you hair balanced (your hair won’t be to tight or to loose). in doing so, DONT be afraid of the big body blowout like many women in the 60′s & 70′s wore. It keeps a consistency with you natural look in terms of volume and ensures your not burning your hair or loosing flexibility in your strands. Besides, the first wash after a blowdry or flat iron (whichever you use) always has my curls voluminous. DO try styling techniques if your natural isn’t consistent in texture. I know plenty of women that talk of twisting and braiding and other sorts of creative ways to get their curls styled. Play around, it’s FUN hair and see what works for you. Build your character!
Amen to all of that! Chime in via the comments below if you have any natural hair tips or stories for us to share on #RealGirlsRealCurls!
Follow me @gorgeousingrey
50 Products For Effortless Frizz-Free Curls
1. Top 50 Natural Hair Products For Black Hair1 of 49
2. Karen’s Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia Leave in Conditioner 8.5 Oz2 of 49
3. Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls3 of 49
4. Eden Bodyworks Peppermint Tea Oil4 of 49
5. Hair Rules Quench Conditioner5 of 49
6. Carol’s Daughter Monoi Collection6 of 49
7. Carol’s Daughter Lisa’s Hair Elixir Fortifying Scalp Spray and Restoring Oil7 of 49
8. Kinky Curly Knot Today8 of 49
9. Miss Jessie’s Pillow Soft Curls9 of 49
10. Beautiful Textures Naturally Straight Texture Manageability System10 of 49
11. Ouidad Heat and Humidity Gel11 of 49
12. Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp Conditioner12 of 49
13. Shea Terra Organics Argan and Ghassool Shampoo Bar13 of 49
14. Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner14 of 49
15. Curl Junkie Honey Butta Leave In Conditioner15 of 49
16. Organix Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo16 of 49
17. Curls Unleashed Curl Defining Creme17 of 49
18. EDEN BodyWorks JojOba Monoi All Natural Conditioner18 of 49
19. Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner19 of 49
20. Creme of Nature Argan Oil Moisture & Shine Shampoo20 of 49
21. Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo21 of 49
22. Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo22 of 49
23. Motions Hair Naturally You Products23 of 49
24. Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner24 of 49
25. Cantu Shea Butter Twist And Lock Gel25 of 49
26. Beautiful Textures Tangle Taming Shampoo26 of 49
27. Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter27 of 49
28. OBIA Curl Hydration Spray28 of 49
29. Ojon Damage Reverse Shampoo29 of 49
30. Giovanni All-Natural Hair Styling Mousse Air-Turbo Charged30 of 49
31. Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturizing Gel31 of 49
32. AG Re:coil32 of 49
33. Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper33 of 49
34. Moroccanoil Shampoo34 of 49
35. Moroccanoil Hydrating Conditioner35 of 49
36. Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite36 of 49
37. Miss Jessie’s Curly Meringue37 of 49
38. Softsheen Carson Optimum Amla Legend Billion Hair Potion38 of 49
39. Tigi Catwalk Curlesque Curls Rock Amplifier39 of 49
40. Aussie Moist Shampoo40 of 49
41. Organic Root Stimulator Lock and Twist Gel41 of 49
42. Moroccan Oil42 of 49
43. Max Green Alchemy Scalp Rescue Conditioner43 of 49
44. WEN Chaz Dean Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner44 of 49
45. Agadir Oil Hair Treatment45 of 49
46. Keracare Humecto Creme Conditioner46 of 49
47. Mixed Chick Leave-In Conditioner47 of 49
48. Jane Carter Solution All Natural Nourish and Shine for Dry Hair and Dry Skin48 of 49
49. Yarok Hair49 of 49
Like HelloBeautiful on Facebook To Keep Up With The Latest Style And Beauty Trends